Webmaster – Information Systems Associate GS-6
About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 SDGs, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information please visit www.unu.edu.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations in 1985 in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University. Today it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as original research that is ‘open access’. More information on UNU-WIDER’s current work programme, is available at: www.wider.unu.edu.
UNU-WIDER is looking for an outstanding individual with strong web and systems development skills to join the Knowledge & Information Services Team of the Institute.
Under the general coordination of UNU-WIDER´s Information Systems Associate and overall supervision of UNU-WIDER´s Chief, Administrative & Programme Services, as well as in close collaboration with the Communications team and Team Lead, Knowledge Management, the Webmaster/Systems Development Associate will perform the following functions:
1. Webmaster (40%)
- Assist in the development, deployment and maintenance of UNU-WIDER websites, including all technical webmaster functions.
- Work closely with the Communications Team in site planning, technical layout, selection and integration of web applications and modules.
- Contribute specifications for the contracting of external consultants and vendors where needed.
- Monitor and implement updates and upgrades for all websites.
2. Systems development (40%)
- Work closely with stakeholders in the development and maintenance of CiviCRM for contacts management and event registrations; work closely with stakeholders to create customized templates, forms, surveys and reports.
- Assist in the technical design and development of UNU-WIDER and operational management tools and platforms including intranet, contracts database, asset management tool etc.
- Ensure appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area issue.
- Assist in the maintenance, upgrade, or enhance existing systems; carry out needs assessment for new systems; monitor and test new IT developments and suggest innovations to improve the Institute’s operational efficiency and management of IT resources.
- Develop, implement and maintain a modern disaster recovery plan which allows for the timely recovery of critical data and applications in the event of data loss.
- Maintain and develop documentation for end-users as well as for processes, procedures and operational management associated with system security and disaster recovery.
- Monitor and apply security patches on web servers.
3. Help Desk (20%)
- Provide surge support for all Help Desk functions not limited to setting up staff work stations and IT environments for conferences, meetings and in-coming staff.
- Perform other duties as required.
Required qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering, or equivalent, with at least five (5) years relevant professional experience preferably in an international organization; knowledge of the UN system is an advantage.
- Excellent problem-solving and computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and Office 365.
- Expert skills in Drupal web-based content management systems (CMS) and client relationship management (CRM) systems, especially Drupal 7, CiviCRM and integration of Drupal with Apache Solr.
- Excellent knowledge in HTML5, CSS, PHP and MYSQL is required.
- Comfort with incremental code-testing and deployment.
- Good command of software development automation and version control tools, especially Gulp and Git.
- Familiarity with VMware virtualization tools.
- Strong client-services orientation with excellent communication skills to non-technical staff.
- Fluency in both oral and written English. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and with high level of resilience.
- Strong ability to establish priorities, multi-task and work within tight timelines.
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Comfort with collaboration across functional borders.
We offer a competitive net salary (tax-exempted in Finland) at GS-6 level on the UN Finland salary scale, plus the standard United Nations entitlements / benefits for General Service category position in the United Nations common system http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm.
The Rector reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below that advertised.
Duration of contract
This is a full-time fixed-term appointment. The initial appointment will be for a period of one (1) year with the possibility of renewal on a fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance. The mandatory age of retirement for newly recruited United Nations staff is 65 years.
This is a locally recruited post and is limited to persons residing in Finland; no relocation expenses or allowances apply.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the United Nations University.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications by email to ITemail@example.com and must attach the following:
- A cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position.
- A completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) downloadable from UNU website. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations;
- An up-to-date CV.
- A copy of highest educational degree obtained.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs (Charter of the United Nations: Chapter 3, Article 8).