Information note for confirmed participants - Think development - Think WIDER
Conference programme and presentations
We look forward to welcoming you to Helsinki for next month’s WIDER Development Conference. The below sections contain key information on the logistics of the event. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact our staff as indicated at the end of this document.
Transportation from the airport to the conference venue
Helsinki Airport, located in Vantaa, is approximately 20 km from the conference venue and the center of Helsinki. Transportation alternatives:
- Taxi to Marina Congress Center (approx. price: €45)
- Finnair City Bus (Pohjolan Liikenne) to the main railway station (ticket price €6.80) and then a taxi from there to Marina Congress Center (approx. price €15)
- Ring Rail Line train to the main railway station (ticket price €5) and then a taxi from there to Marina Congress Center (approx. price €15)
- Shared airport taxi to Marina Congress Center (approx. price €29/person)
- Bus number 615 or 620 to the main railway station (ticket price €5), then tram number 4 or 4T (using the same bus ticket if used within 80 minutes from initial purchase) to Marina Congress Center
The conference venue is located in Katajanokka, Helsinki. Within near proximity to the conference venue, four options are available:
Scandic Grand Marina Hotel (fully booked)
If you prefer, you are welcome to book any other hotel in Helsinki and we refer you to the various search engines available (e.g. booking.com, trivago.com, hotels.com) to find an alternative that suits your preference.
Venue, registration, and network café
The conference takes place at the Marina Congress Center, located at Katajanokanlaituri 6, Helsinki.
Registration for the conference will open on Thursday 13 September from 08:00 onwards at the registration desk on the ground floor of the Marina Congress Center. The conference will start at 09:00 hrs in meeting room Europaea, also on the ground floor.
On registration participants will be given a name badge, which must be worn for security reasons throughout the conference during the sessions and lunches.
UNU-WIDER’s premises are on the 3rd floor of the Marina Congress Center building. A network café will be hosted in the Institute’s common area throughout the conference days. Coffee and tea will be available all day for participants to enjoy in social surroundings.
Meals and events
All conference participants will be provided with lunch on the conference days. In addition, please take note of the following evening events:
- Thursday 13 September: Opening dinner at Vanha Ylioppilastalo from 18:30
Mannerheimintie 3, 00100 Helsinki
Note: Participants are kindly asked to arrange for their own transport to and from the venue. It is a 1.5 km walk through the center of Helsinki; see map at the end of this document.
- Friday 14 September: Networking and evening entertainment at Key West Pub from 19:00
Katajanokanlaituri 7, 00160 Helsinki (part of the Scandic Grand Marina Hotel building)
Note: Key West Pub is reserved for conference participants to network in social surroundings. Drinks are at the participants own expense.
- Saturday 15 September: Closing dinner at Marina Congress Center (ground floor)
Katajanokanlaituri 6, 00160 Helsinki
Participants not planning to attend any of these meals are requested to inform the Conference Team Assistants in advance.
Conference programme and papers
The latest edition of the conference programme is available online. All PowerPoint presentations, made available by presenters, will also be posted on the website. There will be no paper copies available at the conference.
September is early autumn in Finland and the weather in Helsinki around the time of the conference can be changeable, with cool temperatures around 10-15oC and a possibility of rain.
Smart casual. National costume highly encouraged.
We will be live tweeting throughout the conference. Join us!
UNU-WIDER Twitter Account: @UNUWIDER
Conference hashtag: #ThinkDevelopmentThinkWIDER
Annual Lecture hashtag: #AL22
Photos from the event will also be shared on Facebook throughout and after the event. Follow us on Faceboook @UNUWIDER to stay up to date.