The expression coined by Jim O’Neill in 2001 has emerged to be an international co-operation forum of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. After the 2008 Financial Crisis, BRICS certainly played an important role in contributing to recovery with an increased share of global economic growth. However, many important issues and questions remain.
UNU-WIDER Director, Kunal Sen, join this event alongside the following speakers:
- Professor Zahir Irani, Deputy Vice Chancellor, University of Bradford will open the webinar.
- Lord Jim O’Neill, formerly Chief Economist of Goldman Sachs and former Minster, UK Government
- Professor Elaine Unterhalter, FBA, Professor of Education and International Development, UCL Institute of Education
- Professor Michael Woolcock, Adjunct Lecturer of Public Policy, Harvard Kennedy School and the World Bank
- Professor Victor Murinde, AXA Chair in Global Finance & Director, Centre for Global Finance, SOAS University of London
- The editors of the Handbook of BRICS and Emerging Economies, Professor PB Anand, Dr Shailaja Fennell and Dr Flavio Comim